A tower / equipment connecting to the general mass of earth by means of an electrical conductor.
Connection to earth in achieved by electrically connecting a metal plate, rod or other conductors or an array of conductors to the general mass of earth. These connecting conductors are called as “Earth electrode”.
It is the conductor by which connection is made between tower and earth or ground.
Earth Loop Impedance
The total resistance of earth path including that of conductors, earth wire, earth leads and earth electrodes at consumer end and substation end.
Types of Earthing:
There are various ways of doing Earthing:
1. Conventional Earthing : This type of earthing is widely used in rural areas. In this system earthing is done by digging of earth and putting large pit into which GI pipe or conductors is placed with layers of charcoal and salt. We can put only one of two pits in a day. The Conventional system of GI pipe Earthing or copper plate Earthing requires maintenance and pouring of water at regular interval.
These are four conventional earthing:
GI Plate Earthing
Cast Iron plate Earthing
Copper plate Earthing
2. Maintenance Free Earthing : It is a scientifically developed earthing tested and standardized by developer. It is used by industries,power generation station and in many houses.
Advantages of Maintenance Free Earthing:
1. Maintenance Free: You don’t need to pour water on it on regular basis but you need to check soil quarterly or yearly.
2. Consistency: Maintain stable and consistent earth resistance around the year.
3. More Surface Area: The conductors creates a conductive zone which help to increase surface area for surge or high current dissipation. It also provide stable reference point.
4. Low earth resistance. Highly conductive. Carries high peak current repeatedly.
5. No corrosion. Eco Friendly.
6. Long Life.
7. Easy Installation.